"To the people who have come to the Nahanni, the spirit has adopted you. On behalf of the Dehcho First Nations, thank you for your commitment to protecting Nah?a Dehe (Nahanni)."
- Herb Norwegian, former Grand Chief, Dehcho First Nations
From November 2005 to January 2006 CPAWS organized Nahanni Forever, a national tour to raise awareness and showcase the conservation opportunity to protect the Nahanni wilderness - one of the most spectacular wilderness areas in Canada’s Northwest Territories – and to mobilize Canadians to speak out in support of protecting the entire South Nahanni watershed and stop the proposed Prairie Creek mine.
CPAWS went to 20 cities across the country and at every stop along the way were inspired by Canadians' enthusiasm and passion for protecting this iconic national park and World Heritage Site.
CPAWS invited special guests including Dehcho First Nations Grand Chief Herb Norwegian, renowned scientists including pre-eminent geologist Dr. Derek Ford, biologist Dr. John Weaver and fresh water ecologist Dr. David Schindler, and prominent Canadians including Sarah Harmer, Justin Trudeau, Cathy Jones and James Keelaghan to participate at the events and lend their support to the Nahanni campaign.
- Former Grand Chief Herb Norwegian, Dehcho First Nations
- Justin Trudeau, passionate outdoor enthusiast and Nahanni advocate
- Dr. Derek Ford, Professor Emeritus, McMaster University and expert on limestone caves
- Cathy Jones, star of This Hour has 22 minutes
- Sarah Harmer, Juno Award-winning singer/songwriter
- Harvey Locke, CPAWS Conservation Advisor
- Dr. John Weaver, grizzly bear and woodland caribou biologist
- Dr. David Schindler, world-renowned fresh water ecologist
- Henri Chassé, Quebecois actor and patron of the Dumoine
- Neil Hartling, outfitter and guide, Nahanni River Adventures
- James Keelaghan, Juno Award-winning singer/songwriter
- Melissa Majeau, Edmonton singer/songwriter
- Connie Kaldor, Juno Award-winning singer/songwriter
- Leela Gilday, Canadian Aboriginal Music Award-winning singer/songwriter
- Todd Labrador, Storyteller
- Ashley Moffat and the Wilderbeats
To receive news and updates from CPAWS, including when there's something happening in your area, join our action list below.Join mailing list