The Big Wild Challenge: It’s back!
Planning a summer trip into the great outdoors? Want to help protect the nature you love? Well stop right there – and get ready to register your trip as a Big Wild Challenge!
We’re inviting nature lovers from across the country to dedicate your next outdoor adventure – whether for a day, a week, or longer – to conserving Canada’s wilderness. This is a unique way for you to help protect Canada’s amazing wilderness, and have a great time doing it.
Once you register trip as a Big Wild Challenge you can invite friends and family to support your adventure with a donation to CPAWS – Canada’s leading public wilderness conservation organization – right from your own web page.
There will be great prizes for participation, donated by Mountain Equipment Co-op!
Stay tuned for registration, opening mid-May!
Where will the money go?
All funds raised by the Big Wild Challenge will go towards supporting CPAWS’ conservation campaigns across Canada to protect “at risk” wilderness, from vast and beautiful watersheds in Yukon and NWT, to B.C.’s highly endangered South Okanagan, to the Boreal forests stretching from Alberta to Quebec and our Maritime oceans, including the Bay of Fundy and Newfoundland’s Grand Banks.
How do I know if my trip will qualify as a Big Wild Challenge?
Just check out these criteria below to see if your trip fits:
- Your trip can be as short as a day or as long as a season.
- Your trip includes a personal challenge for you or someone in your group – for example – bringing someone who has never canoed/hiked/kayaked/paddle-boarded/camped before; going to a location that is new to you or someone in your group; inviting friends or family you have never gone into nature with before; leaving behind the game-boys and cell phones; setting a fundraising goal beyond your comfort level; going to a park instead of the cottage for the weekend; the possibilities are endless – this is YOUR own challenge…!
- Your trip will take place off-road and beyond the parking lot in either a natural park or on public (crown) land or water.
- Your means of travel once you get to the park or wilderness area is self-propelled – meaning no ATV’s, moto-cross bikes or motor boats are involved once you reach your trip start point.
- You and your team are committed to raising funds for CPAWS.
- Your team adopts the 7 Leave No Trace principles to minimize the impact of your trip (for information and to find a Leave No Trace workshop near you, see www.leavenotrace.ca).
How to register
Registration will open in late spring 2013.
Check back on this page for updates, and subscribe to our e-news list to get updates directly to your inbox!
Big Wild Challenge
The Big Wild Challenge is an event run by you and for you! You can do anything you like as long as you're spending time outdoors and in the process raising money and awareness for conservation!
View the whole site with information here!
Challenge yourself and never stop exploring the great outdoors!
To receive news and updates from CPAWS, including when there's something happening in your area, join our action list below.Join mailing list